man looking out window, contemplative

What Are The Legal Rights of a Father Not On The Birth Certificate?

In Utah, fathers are only automatically put on the child’s birth certificate if they are married to the mother. Otherwise, the father must take action to establish their legal paternity. Lokken & Putnam, P.C. explains what the rights of fathers who are not on the child’s birth certificate are.

Father’s Rights in Utah

Fathers with a legal connection to their children generally have legal and custodial rights. This means that they can make important decisions about their child’s life. Additionally, they have legal responsibilities when it comes to caring for their child.

Fathers who are not on their child’s birth certificate and have not established paternity have no legal rights. This means they cannot have a say in their child’s medical care, education, and other major interests. Additionally, fathers do not have custodial rights. The child’s mother has no legal obligation to allow the father custody or visitation.

If you are a father who wishes to gain parental rights over your child, you will need to establish legal paternity.

How To Establish Paternity in Utah

There are a few ways in which you can establish a legal connection between yourself and your child in Utah.

  • Voluntary Declaration of Paternity: Both parents of the child voluntarily file a document stating that the father is the child's legal parent.
  • Administrative Paternity Order from ORS: Establishes paternity and allows for child support orders to be granted.
  • Judicial Order: The mother or father may request that the court establishes paternity. The court may also grant genetic testing to identify the biological father.

To learn more about establishing paternity in Utah, read our blog ‘When Would I Need to Establish Paternity?’

Lokken & Putnam, P.C. Family Law in Utah

Confused about your legal rights as an unwed father? Our team can help you get the answers you seek. If you have determined that you’d like to establish paternity or have other family law matters you need handled, Lokken & Putnam, P.C. is the team to call. Reach us at (801) 829-9783 or online.